(This is just a quick rundown of our varied history. More is coming.)
Colorado’s 1st commercial radio station began broadcasts from the Colorado State Teachers College (now University of Northern Colorado) in 1921. The station was granted a license by the government under the call letters KFKA on June 4th 1923, and placed at 1100 kHz. It was a pioneer in many ways, including airing the first radio newscast, the first news commentary in Colorado and introducing regular remote broadcasting.
It moved to 750 kHz then 1200 kHz, both in 1927. It moved to 880 kHz in 1928. As a result of the NARBA agreement it moved to 910 kHz in 1941 and shared time with KPOF/Denver. It moved to its current frequency in 1948, ending the time-share agreement as KPOF remained at 910 kHz.
The college sold the radio station on April 11, 1930 to the Mid-Western Radio Corporation and the station then moved to the Camfield hotel.